San Diego Fraud Defense Lawyer
Fraud charges can include any activity that grants you an unfair or illegal financial advantage or harms another individual or causes them loss at your benefit. This can result in severe penalties, including lengthy prison sentences, fines and reparations, and a loss of your job or reputation. In addition, many fraud crimes are also federal crimes, meaning you can be subject to multiple penalties in state and federal courts. Learn more from a San Diego fraud defense lawyer.
If you face fraud charges in the San Diego area and don’t know where to turn, immediately contact Dod Law, APC, in Vista and Downtown San Diego, California. Led by San Diego fraud attorney Dod Ghassemkhani, we are a criminal defense law firm in San Diego, CA that provides insight and support to guide you through your legal proceedings. With years of experience fighting against harsh charges and accusations, our team understands the challenges you may be facing for fraud charges and will provide you with the best possible legal defense and outcome for your case.
Facing Fraud Charges in California? Contact a San Diego Fraud Defense Lawyer
Though some crimes are charged as misdemeanors, others are felony offenses and can result in harsh penalties or deportation if you are an immigrant. In fact, many fraud charges are considered “wobblers,” which means the prosecutor can push for a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the circumstances. Because of the nature of fraud crimes, California law permits the government to seize property, money, or other assets involved in the fraud.
Many types of fraud exist, including:
- Insurance fraud: Insurance fraud occurs when a person makes a fake or false claim or statement to an insurance company with the intent of obtaining a financial benefit or other type of gain.
- Real estate fraud: Similar to insurance fraud, real estate fraud occurs when a person makes a false claim or representation regarding a real estate transaction.
- Credit card fraud: When an unauthorized person uses someone else’s credit card information with the purpose of removing funds or charging purchases to the account, the unauthorized person can face credit card fraud charges.
- Identity theft: Identity theft is the unauthorized use of another person’s personal identifying information with the intention of committing fraud. For example, someone misusing another person’s social security number is a common identity theft scheme.
- Healthcare fraud: A false statement or claim to a healthcare provider for the purpose of obtaining some sort of benefit is a clear example of healthcare fraud. If an individual misdiagnoses someone to collect a certain expensive drug is an example of healthcare fraud.
Fraud comes in all shapes and sizes and requires an experienced, professional San Diego fraud defense attorney. The penalties and consequences you face depend significantly on the type of fraud charges and severity of the crime. Without a highly-qualified San Diego fraud lawyer, your rights and future could be at risk. Speak with our team about how we can fight your charges and protect you throughout the legal process.
Penalties for Fraud Charges in California
It is important to note that fraud is an umbrella term describing a variety of criminal acts. However, not all crimes under fraud result in the same punishment.
The potential punishments significantly depend on the type of fraud conviction you face. For example, in cases of insurance fraud or healthcare fraud, if an individual receives a misdemeanor conviction, they may face up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $10,000. However, a felony conviction for the same charge may result in up to five years in state prison and a fine of up to $50,000.
Other examples include credit card fraud or identity theft, which result in less severe penalties. If a court charges an individual with a misdemeanor conviction for credit card fraud or identity theft, they may face up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. On the other hand, a felony conviction may result in up to three years in state prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
Without a legal representative guiding you through the process, your rights and future are at significant risk. Every case is unique and requires a thorough understanding of criminal law and strategies. To understand the specifics of your individual case, speak with San Diego fraud lawyer, Dod Ghassemkhani, about what penalties you may face, as well as how we can help you and your case.
Speak With Dod Law, APC Today For Skilled Legal Support
Whether it’s future career opportunities or home loans, a criminal record will significantly harm your life. Our team of fraud lawyers in San Diego at Dod Law, APC has over 18 years of experience advocating and guiding California residents through complex legal charges. We aggressively fight for our clients’ rights and will use our connections and knowledge to build a solid defense strategy. With positive past results and references, you can count on our team to provide the best possible representation.
Schedule a free consultation with our team by calling our San Diego office 619-814-6025 or Vista 760-814-6025 or filling out our contact form today.