Free Consultation, Available 24/7
San Diego: 619-814-5110 | Vista: 760-814-6025
La Mesa Drug Charge Lawyer
If you have received drug charges in La Mesa, you may worry about how these charges will impact your future and career. These charges often have serious consequences, which can be daunting. Fortunately, you can defend your rights with an experienced lawyer at Dod Law, APC. Our professional attorneys have over 18 years of experience working on all types of drug crime cases, so you can trust us to handle yours with the care and attention it deserves.
When facing drug charges, having a dedicated La Mesa drug charge attorney by your side is essential for getting them reduced or dropped. We provide unmatched legal services and innovative solutions based on your circumstances to cast doubt on the charges against you. Our passionate legal team takes every case seriously. We can help you manage every aspect of your case and communicate honestly, so you always know what to expect and what to do to achieve a positive outcome.
3 Types of Drug Crimes in California
There are several types of drug crimes you could face charges for, all of which have different potential consequences. The details of these charges include the following:
Simple drug possession charges indicate you had the drug for personal use with no intention to sell. The penalties for this charge depend on the type of drug involved, how much you possessed, and any past convictions. Penalties for this charge range from an infraction, which only involves paying a fine, to a misdemeanor or a felony, which could include jail time.
Possession With Intent to Sell
Unlike simple drug possession, possession with the intent to distribute is considered a felony in California. You may face this charge if police find a large amount of drugs, scales, small bags, or large amounts of cash. California law does not state a specific amount of drugs that indicates the intent to sell, so the charge is up to the officer at the scene. Our attorneys can help gather evidence and cast doubt on this opinion-based charge.
You may be charged with this drug crime if the police find drugs in your car or other vehicle. Even if you only drove a short distance, you could still face this serious charge. Potential consequences for this charge depend on past convictions and if you traveled with the drugs outside county lines.
How Does California Categorize Drugs?
California’s Health and Safety code classifies drugs into five categories, also called schedules. The following categories are based on the likelihood of addiction and abuse and its medical use:
- Schedule I: These drugs have no medical use and have a high risk of abuse. This includes heroin, LSD, ecstasy, PCP, and other hallucinogens and opiates.
- Schedule II: This includes methamphetamine, amphetamine, Vicodin, and morphine, which have high abuse risk but can be obtained with a prescription.
- Schedule III: Drugs like ketamine, dronabinol, and testosterone are included in this category because they have a moderate risk of abuse and some medical use.
- Schedule IV: This category includes drugs the medical community approves but have a small risk of abuse, like Xanax, phentermine, and Valium.
- Schedule V: Substances in this category have a low risk of abuse and are widely used for medical purposes, including Motofin, Lomotil, and cough medicines.
Law enforcement uses these schedules as a guide when charging people with drug crimes. Depending on the type of drug involved and your intent, your potential penalties could be more or less severe.
How Can a Lawyer Help With Your La Mesa Drug Charge?
Dealing with the aftermath of receiving drug charges can be overwhelming. You may not know how to defend your rights or what mistakes to avoid when speaking to officers or judges. Fortunately, you do not have to go through it alone. Our compassionate La Mesa drug charges lawyers at Dod Law, APC are here to listen to your story and handle every aspect of your case, including the following:
- Conducting a thorough investigation of your case
- Gathering and analyzing evidence to cast doubt on your charges
- Speaking on your behalf to prosecutors and judges
- Answering all your legal questions
- Developing a customized plan that meets your needs
- Utilizing valuable resources to further strengthen your case
- Advising you on the best actions to take to achieve reduced or dropped charges
Working with a trustworthy attorney can make the legal process less stressful. We strive to take the weight off your shoulders and fiercely advocate for your rights. Our caring lawyers understand the emotionally-taxing nature of facing drug charges, so we will do everything we can to fight for you and achieve optimal results.
Contact a Highly-Skilled La Mesa Drug Charge Lawyer at Dod Law, APC Today
While you can attempt to represent yourself after getting charged with a drug crime, the process can be complicated, and you risk making mistakes that could result in more serious penalties. Therefore, you deserve knowledgeable representation that understands how to handle your case to achieve reduced or dropped charges. At Dod Law, APC, our La Mesa drug charge attorneys know the laws, judges, and prosecutors in the La Mesa area, so you can rely on us to handle your case with proper attention.
With over 18 years of experience in the industry, Dod Ghassemkhani has a proven track record of successful outcomes and is committed to your rights and freedoms. Our top-rated La Mesa lawyers have the skills and knowledge to take on your case, no matter the circumstances. We are prepared to investigate and uncover evidence to build a solid case. To schedule a free consultation, call (619) 814-5110 or fill out our contact form.