Free Consultation, Available 24/7
San Diego: 619-814-5110 | Vista: 760-814-6025
San Diego County Theft Lawyer
In the state of California, theft crimes can take many different forms. Depending on the nature of the theft crime, a person charged with this crime may face various charges, varying in the degree of severity. Regardless of if this is your first offense for a minor theft charge or if you are a repeat offender for a more severe crime, being charged with theft is serious and can have lasting impacts on your life. If you have been charged with a theft crime in San Diego County, it is essential that you contact a theft attorney who has the experience to help you build a strong defense.
Dod Law, APC is a criminal defense law firm helping clients in San Diego County, California, who have been accused of a theft crime. With 18 years of experience representing clients facing serious legal penalties, it is our goal to help get the charges against you reduced or dropped altogether. While it may seem like you have nowhere to turn after being arrested for theft, that is not the case. Our team of legal professionals will help you build a strong defense so you can have a fair trial.
Theft Cases We Handle in San Diego County, California
There are various types of theft crimes, all of which vary in the severity of the penalties you may face if convicted. At Dod Law, APC, our trusted legal team has experience representing clients for many different types of theft crimes in California. Some of the most common theft cases are as follows:
- Petit Theft: An individual charged with this type of crime will be charged with a misdemeanor and will have taken property valued at less than $950.
- Grand Theft: Depending on the nature of the theft, an individual who has committed grand theft may be charged with a misdemeanor or a felony.
- Robbery: This is a type of theft that enacts the use of violence, intimidation, or threats to obtain the stolen property.
- Armed Robbery: When a deadly weapon like a knife or a gun is used during a theft crime, this is considered to be armed robbery. This type of theft crime often results in harsh penalties due to its violent nature.
- Embezzlement: This type of crime is the theft of assets by an individual or entity who was trusted to keep those assets safe for a specific use.
- Fraud: This is the stealing of property by convincing the victim to surrender their money or any other assets under false pretenses.
Being charged with a crime can be overwhelming and leave you feeling helpless as you try to understand what to do next. Whether you have been charged with a minor or severe theft crime, the skilled theft lawyers at Dod Law, APC may be able to help you build a strong defense.
Penalties You May Face If Convicted of Theft in California
After being charged with a theft crime in California, you may be facing severe penalties that can affect your ability to live life as you did prior to your arrest. Some common penalties for theft crimes include:
- Costly fines
- Jail time
- Prison time
In addition to these legal penalties, being convicted of theft in San Diego County may also make it difficult for you to find a job, rent a home or car, and may affect your relationship with friends and family.
Common Defense Strategies for Theft Crimes in San Diego County
In order to be convicted of a theft crime in San Diego County, California, the District Attorney must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime was committed, you were the one who committed it, and you had criminal intent when committing the theft. When you work with our team of seasoned criminal defense attorneys, we will review the details of your case to determine what the best defense strategy will be to protect your rights and interests. Some common defense strategies for theft crimes in California include:
- There was no intent to steal
- You were falsely accused of theft
- You had the consent of the owner of the property in question
- You mistakenly believed the property belonged to you
- Mistaken identity or witness identification
- Insufficient evidence
- The property actually belongs to you
- You have an alibi and were elsewhere when the theft crime occurred
To begin building your defense case, contact one of our trusted theft lawyers as soon as possible.
Contact a San Diego County Theft Lawyer Today
Understanding the different penalties you may face for theft in California and your options to combat the charges against you are critical to an effective defense strategy in such cases. These charges can negatively impact almost every area of your life, so successfully advocating for your rights and interests is vital. Dod Law, APC has cultivated effective criminal defense strategies in this practice area. We work to preserve your rights in every way possible so that you don’t end up being adversely affected by theft charges.
Learn more with a free case review by calling (619) 814-5110 or contact us online through our contact form.