Encinitas Criminal Defense Lawyer
When you’re facing criminal charges in Encinitas, California, you must obtain effective legal representation right away. Even if it’s your first criminal offense, a conviction can lead to long-lasting consequences, so you need an Encinitas criminal defense lawyer who will fight aggressively to protect your future. With the help of an experienced criminal defense lawyer in, you can work toward securing your future.
Attorney Dod is a criminal defense lawyer who represents clients facing criminal charges across California. With more than 17 years of experience, you can be confident that he will build a strong defense to fight your charges. Attorney Dod prides himself in obtaining favorable results for his clients.
Types of Criminal Charges We Handle in Encinitas
Attorney Dod has worked on more than 6,500 criminal cases in and out of the courtroom in California. Handling a wide array of criminal charges in Encinitas, he has been the lead attorney for more than 400 preliminary hearings and 75 jury trials. Some of the types of criminal cases Dod Law handles include:
- Assault and battery: Assault is the threat of harmful contact or an act leading up to harmful contact, such as approaching someone with a raised fist. Battery is the use of physical force against another person.
- Domestic violence: Domestic violence is threat or abuse from a person the victim has a close relationship with, either romantic or familial.
- Drug crimes: California’s drug laws are complex and vary based on the kind of drug, the amount of it, and the purpose for possessing the drug.
- DUI: Driving under the influence encompasses alcohol and drug use. The BAC limit for drivers over 21 is .08%, but for drivers under 21, it’s .01%.
- Fraud crimes: These charges can include any activity that gives you an unfair or illegal advantage or that harms another person or causes them loss at your benefit.
- Theft crimes: There are many types of theft charges in California, including shoplifting, petty theft, grand theft auto, and burglary.
- White-collar crimes: Crimes in this category are usually alleged toward business professionals, government officials, or anyone in a position of power. Most white-collar crime cases involve illegal financial gain or a scam at the corporate level.
Whether this is your first offense or you’re a repeat offender, you can be sure that California state prosecutors will be aggressive. To protect your best interest, you’ll need an equally aggressive criminal defense lawyer.
Penalties for a Criminal Conviction in California
The punishment you may receive for a criminal conviction in Encinitas depends on the charges that you’re facing. Keep in mind that the more serious the charge, the harsher the consequences may be. Common penalties for a criminal conviction include:
- Rehabilitation programs
- Educational programs
- Loss of license
More severe penalties can include years in prison with thousands of dollars in fines. Criminal defense lawyers will spend time with you to learn more about the case to craft a defense that will stand up in court.
Potential Criminal Defense Strategies
Successful criminal defense strategies hinge on you being upfront with your attorney, providing a thorough and detailed account that led to your charges. Doing so will allow Attorney Dod to fully understand your charges and obtain relevant evidence that may help your case. Common defenses for criminal charges can include:
- Mistaken identity
- False evidence
- Lack of evidence
- Unreliable witnesses
While you may feel uncertain about your chances in court, teaming up with a criminal defense lawyer in Encinitas is the best way you can ensure someone will stand up for your rights. Representing yourself is not something you should have to do, nor should you do it. You’re not just hiring an attorney, you’re investing in your future.
How Are Crimes Classified in California?
California has three classifications of crimes: infractions, misdemeanors, and felonies. However, the state also has what’s known as “wobbler” crimes. These are offenses prosecutors can charge as either a misdemeanor or a felony. The prosecutor will consider the facts and circumstances surrounding the alleged crime and the accused’s prior criminal history. Your attorney may also be able to negotiate with the prosecutor to charge it as a misdemeanor.
Infractions in California
Infractions are typically minor offenses that may be punishable by a fine. An example may include the personal possession of a small amount of marijuana. For a first offense, you may not receive jail time and only have a fine to pay.
Misdemeanors in California
Misdemeanors are more serious offenses than infractions are. If a court convicts you, you may face up to a year in jail or pay fines. For example, a theft valued at less than $400 may be classified as a misdemeanor.
Felonies in California
California felonies are the most serious crimes in the state. Felony convictions may lead to lengthy jail time and/or large fines. Murder, arson, and aggravated assault are all examples of charges that can be felonies.
Partner with a Seasoned Criminal Defense Attorney in Encinitas, CA
Every criminal case is serious, no matter what kind of charge you’re facing. Encinitas criminal defense attorney Dod treats all of his clients with the respect they deserve. Not only does he have a proven record of success, but peers and past clients also respect and recognize Attorney Dod because of his skill, professionalism, and success as a criminal defense lawyer.
He was named one of The National Trial Lawyer Top 100 Trial Lawyers and has a 10.0 Superb Avvo rating. When you partner with Dod Law, you can be confident that your future is in good hands.